• Use [hide] Content [/hide] to prevent leeching of your content.

AMD or NVIDIA? Pls help

FaTaN

So I've been wondering which graphics card i should buy next, what do you think is the best?. AMD or NVIDIA?.
I prefer NVIDIA because of superior drivers and good quality cards.

Jimster480

Administrator
Staff member
AMD is just much better overall.
Card's have a longer lifespan, better GPGPU performance and more power for the dollar.
They also usually support newer technologies before Nvidia and have added benefits like TruAudio and 4K decoding aswell as the ability to drive upto 6 monitors from the same card.

xenome

I'd wait to see which company delivers the best FinFET architecture before making a decision now. Super excited that GPUs will be making a giant leap in performance per watt this year. It's been 5 years since the last standardized 28nm build.

FaTaN

AMD is just much better overall.
Card's have a longer lifespan, better GPGPU performance and more power for the dollar.
They also usually support newer technologies before Nvidia and have added benefits like TruAudio and 4K decoding aswell as the ability to drive upto 6 monitors from the same card.
Why would i ever need 6 monitors? I only have 2 eyes.
4K? Useless

How would i record back in time like i do with shadowplay on AMD?.

Buzzsaw

I am Buzzsaw and You're Not
So I've been wondering which graphics card i should buy next, what do you think is the best?. AMD or NVIDIA?.
I prefer NVIDIA because of superior drivers and good quality cards.
AMD for majority of the computer builds.

AMD R9 series are great. Depending on your budget, R9 380, R9 380x, R9 390, and R9 390x are all very good GPUs.

I tend to favor the Sapphire brand due to their stability and high rattings over the years.

Buzzsaw

4K? Useless

He's not saying you need 6 monitors.

What Jimster is saying that the ability of AMD GPUs is to have the power to run up to 6 monitors.

Buzzsaw

I'd wait to see which company delivers the best FinFET architecture before making a decision now. Super excited that GPUs will be making a giant leap in performance per watt this year. It's been 5 years since the last standardized 28nm build.

Yes, but what I'm concerned about is the pricing of the new GPUs.

I hope that those new GPUs won't be priced too high to be out of reach for the mass market.

ToX

AMD for majority of the computer builds.

AMD R9 series are great. Depending on your budget, R9 380, R9 380x, R9 390, and R9 390x are all very good GPUs.

I tend to favor the Sapphire brand due to their stability and high rattings over the years.
Sapphire? I own'd R9 280X Sapphire Toxic and the card got artefacts..No more Sapphire.. Only Asus - high quality components.

I would go with 390x @FaTaN

Jimster480

Administrator
Staff member
4K? Useless

People use 6 monitors all the time for WORK especially in stocks and bonds.

xenome

Yes, but what I'm concerned about is the pricing of the new GPUs.

I hope that those new GPUs won't be priced too high to be out of reach for the mass market.
The reduction in die size will significantly reduce manufacturing costs, there's no way AMD will allow NVidia to continue overcharging for mediocre GPUs

Last edited:

Jimster480

Administrator
Staff member
The reduction in die size will significantly reduce manufacturing costs, there's no way AMD will allow NVidia to continue overcharging for mediocre GPUs
Well at first it will be more expensive, since new lithography is always more expensive.

Jimster480

Administrator
Staff member
Sapphire? I own'd R9 280X Sapphire Toxic and the card got artefacts..No more Sapphire.. Only Asus - high quality components.

I would go with 390x @FaTaN
I have Sapphire cards lol, I've had them forever and only ever had 1 fail on me and it was because my brother pulled his monitor and ripped the card out of the socket in the middle of a game.

ToX

I have Sapphire cards lol, I've had them forever and only ever had 1 fail on me and it was because my brother pulled his monitor and ripped the card out of the socket in the middle of a game.
Cool story bro.. Sapphire = wasted 300 bucks on shitty LQ components card.

Thomas The Train

If you're a gamer and you're type of gamer to want to play games right when they come out, NVIDIA usually have better optimization for games fresh off the shelves.

There is no right answer for which manufacturer is better because it just comes down to personal preference and occasion. Workstations usually favor NVIDA Quadro cards while video editing with OpenCL programs favors AMD cards.

Jimster480

Administrator
Staff member
If you're a gamer and you're type of gamer to want to play games right when they come out, NVIDIA usually have better optimization for games fresh off the shelves.

There is no right answer for which manufacturer is better because it just comes down to personal preference and occasion. Workstations usually favor NVIDA Quadro cards while video editing with OpenCL programs favors AMD cards.
Yep it does depend on which software you use, especially in workstations.
Some workstation software only uses CUDA for example.

Top Bottom